TUC congress 2019 closed its opening session with an inspiring and emotional solidarity action as 600 delegates representing 6 million workers held aloft placards bearing Abdullah Ocalan’s image and the words Freedom for Ocalan. This historic act of international solidarity took place on Sunday the 8th of September 2019 at Brighton Centre, UK.
TUC congress 2019 proud to support Freedom for Ocalan
With these words, Mark Serwotka, general secretary of the Public and Commercial Services Union, the largest trade union representing British civil servants, prompted delegates and gathered general secretaries to signal their continued solidarity with the Kurdish people. He also called on delegates to renew calls for the release of Abdullah Ocalan, urging all present to affiliate their national, regional and branch trade unions to the Freedom for Ocalan campaign.
Our shared commitment
The following images record this and many other acts of solidarity that took place at TUC congress 2019 as the trade union movement cemented it’s commitment to our shared goals;
- The immediate release of Abdullah Öcalan and all Kurdish political prisoners detained by the Turkish state
- The immediate end to the campaign of intimidation and violence against trade unionists in Turkey
- Opposition to any invasion of the free Kurdish cantons of Rojava in North-West Syria.
- The withdrawal of Turkish and jihadi occupying forces from the Kurdish cantons of Syria.
How can you help the campaign?
With growing support in the trade union movement, devolved governments and the Parliamentary Labour Party, the Freedom for Ocalan campaign is calling on trade unionists and activists to support the many local campaigns now running throughout the UK and Europe.
If you’re a member of a trade union it’s critical you support us by requesting your branch, regional or national trade union affiliate now.
With trade union support in the last twelve months we’ve been able to;
- Have the privilege of being the international solidarity theme for the 2018 Durham Miners Gala and had a major presence at this years Tolpuddle Martyrs festival 2019
- Send delegations to Turkey and Kurdistan and support local trade unions
- Successfully lobby the devolved government of Wales to support the goals of the campaign
- Run conferences in the House of Lords and City Hall London